Sunday, February 24, 2008

folksy festival arcana


The Pork, Peanut and Pine Festival began in 1976 and, as you can see, is still running.

Below is an closeup of the datestamp on the back of the postcard.



Likewise the Newport News Festival of Folklife is still running annually. (Click images below to view full size.)


At this 5th annual Festival in 1978, my mom was helping my aunt & my cousin with baking angel flake biscuits as one of the exhibits.

Meanwhile, I was mesmerized by a hammered dulcimer on display nearby. And spent a good part of an afternoon watching a blues musician maybe because or in spite of his playing & singing "Kansas City" over and over again.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We went to Pork Peanut & Pine a few times growing up in the mid 90's because my half sister had a stained glass booth set up there. I was b-o-r-e-d.

K. R. Seward said...

No doubt.

I can't remember which, but my mom volunteered in one of the booths. Maybe as late as the 90s. She may've sold you all some ham biscuits or something to eat or drink. She also did some APVA stuff there at Chippokes.

I walked around Chippokes State Park during a visit last September, but the last time I did the festival was likely '83. I was college age then and meeting friends there who were daytripping down from Richmond, No. VA.

I surely went to the first festival etc. when I was in junior high/high school. There was live music but I was too restless to wait in the July sun for it to start.